Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Growing up

Growing up.

Something I never thought would happen.

When I was about 9 years old, I remember looking around at the 14 and 15 year olds around me, and thinking that they were so grown up. The girls got to wear makeup, and the guys were (almost) over their potty humor. Both groups were getting their learners permits, and seemed to have it all together. In my eyes, they were all so mature; practically adults! I couldn't even imagine being like them.

But then, almost without me noticing, it happened.

My friends and I began to grow up.

Now I look around, and a decent amount of my friends have either graduated and moved out, or in the process of doing so. Some of the things I've always viewed as milestones have come and gone. My 16th birthday, my first time driving, my first dance. It is scary to think about, but in just a couple years I could be in college, living in a dorm. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait, but at the same time I can't believe that I'm so close to being considered mature enough to look after myself.


Sometimes though, I still feel like I'm sort of stuck. Like I'll never get through this stage I'm at right now. My life seems like nonstop homework, classes, and chores. But then I realize how blessed I am to have so many great friends, and in reality, how easy my life is.

I'm rambling now, but my main point is this: enjoy the moment. Don't get so caught up in looking forward to the future that you forget to enjoy the present. I may only be 16, but I swear that I had my thirteenth birthday just yesterday.

~ Abby


2 comments:

Jana said...

Oh, I loved this! I can't believe it either...
Next thing you know and we'll be seniors at our graduation!

Abby said...

Why thank you! :)
I know right?! Scariness.